Students who participate in the National FFA Horse Evaluation Career Development Event (CDE) gain new insights into equine science by evaluating and ranking horses based on breed characteristics, conformation and performance. Participants defend their decisions through oral reasons in front of a panel of judges.
In this team CDE, students solve problems related to everything from the nutrition and reproduction of horses to the tack/equipment and feed used to care for horses. Participants strengthen their leadership, observation, analysis, critical thinking and communication skills while also developing and exercising a competitive team spirit and building an awareness of career opportunities within the equine industry.
FFA members explored Army careers related to food, technology and veterinary science.
Awards and Recognition Advisory Committee
- Two business and industry representatives
- Two members, who are agricultural education instructors
- Two members, who are state staff
- Two members who are teacher educators
- One student member
- One student member of the National FFA Alumni Council
- One member who is an awards program superintendent