Support FFA Members and FFA Chapters in Times of Need
Unexpected events affect FFA members, their families, advisors, chapters and communities from time to time. This page is designed to serve as a starting point for others looking to help in various ways. We also encourage those among us — our student members, advisors, alumni and supporters — to help local FFA chapters during their times of need.
CURRENT EVENTS AFFECTING FFA MEMBERS, CHAPTERS AND THEIR COMMUNITIES
Camp Fire in Northern California
The Camp Fire in Northern California is the state’s deadliest wildfire to-date with 50 fatalities, over 100 people missing, 135,000 acres burned, and 7,600 homes lost. The fire has unfortunately also devastatingly impacted members of our ag education family. The number of FFA members impacted is not yet known but the fire has consumed the home of the ag teacher from Durham HS and the home of an ag ed professor from California State University-Chico. Additionally, several ag teachers’ family members (parents/siblings) have lost their homes and one retired ag teacher has lost his home.
A focused fundraising effort is underway to support these teachers and their families. Contributions to this GoFundMe site are needed and appreciated: https://www.gofundme.com/ag-teacher-camp-fire-relief
Gift Card Drive
The number of FFA members and ag teachers who have lost their homes, SAEs, and/or other property is not yet known but the number is significant. To support these members, the Superior Region Ag Teachers of the California Agricultural Teachers’ Association are organizing a gift card drive. FFA chapters from across the nation are encouraged to consider sending gift cards to support FFA members and ag teachers impacted by the Camp Fire.
Gift cards for almost any store are welcomed including gift cards for stores that FFA members and ag teachers frequent such as farm and ranch supply stores and outdoor supply stores. Gift cards for numerous online retailers are welcome too.
Please send gift cards no later than December 1st to:
Las Plumas High School
2380 Las Plumas Ave.
Oroville, CA 95966
The Superior Region Ag Teachers will work with area chapters to identify members and fellow teachers who have been impacted by the fires to distribute the donated gift cards to those hurt and affected by the fires.
In the wake of Hurricane Michael, our thoughts and prayers continue for those who were affected by this storm and we are committed to helping our friends and communities in need. In true FFA fashion, we have received emails and phone calls from many who are ready and willing to help. In addition to delivering supplies by ground, Florida FFA is partnering with Operation Airdrop to deliver supplies by airplane into some of the hardest hit areas.
Here are a few ways that you can help:
- Collect supplies and deliver to the Florida FFA Headquarters by noon Wednesday, October 17th. These supplies will be delivered to the Gainesville Regional Airport where they will be flown to the communities in north Florida. Items that cannot be delivered by air will be delivered by truck. Some of the most needed items include:
- Food Items (Non-perishable Foods, MRE’s, Water)
- Baby Supplies (Diapers, Baby Wipes, Baby Formula, Baby Bottles, Baby Food)
- First Aid & Medical Supplies
- Hygiene Supplies & Toiletries (Feminine Products, Hand Sanitizer, Tooth brushes/Tooth Paste, Shampoo, Combs, Deodorant, Razors, Soap)
- Other Items (Cleaning supplies, Pillows, Blankets, Gloves, Tools, Tarps, Generators, Batteries, Coolers, Gas Cans)
- Make a financial donation. Here are some ways you can contribute financially:
- Make a donation to Florida FFA – all funds collected for this purpose will be used to purchase supplies for this effort or will be distributed to those in need. If you wish to make an electronic contribution to this cause, please visit our online donation form at: https://floridaffa.formstack.com/forms/disaster_relief_fund
- Make a donation directly to an FFA chapter and/or a community in need.
- Make a donation directly to a charity of your choice.
If you have questions or need additional information, please let us know. We can be reached at (352) 378-0060 or by email at Ronnie.Simmons@flaffa.org.
FFA members and Advisors in North Carolina are still struggling a month after Florence’s landfall with displacement and meeting financial needs. Teachers, returning to school mid-October, are reporting needs for individuals, families, and FFA chapters to their state staff. If you chapter is looking for ways to help, NC state staff suggest purchasing gift cards that can be used at common places such as Walmart. The gift cards can be sent to the state office for distribution as needed.
Contact Gerald K. Barlowe, State Agricultural Education Leader & FFA Advisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn the best course of action to make a difference in the lives of fellow FFA members.
The community of New Richmond, Wis. steps up in big ways to support its FFA chapter, thanks to the tireless efforts of the agricultural education instructor. You, too, might be surprised by the support you receive – if you just ask.