The Needs Exploration Guides are set up in seven different areas that are designed to allow groups to become more familiar with the different areas which their service learning projects could focus. The seven areas are:
When using the Needs Exploration Guides, provide the following directions and students should be able to work independently or in groups through the activities.
- Do a keyword internet search
- Review definitions and statistics
- Do the Motivation and Interest Approach
- Answer the Key Questions
- Perform a Group Discussion Utilizing the Discussion Scenario
- Review the Chapter Spotlight Activities
- Brainstorm Ideas for Service Learning Projects
- Review the Inspirational Profiles
After students have completed the Needs Exploration Guides they will have a great feel for the need areas and how to address them in your community!
The Cooperative State Research, Education, and Extension Service (CSREES) is an agency of the USDA. Its mission is to advance knowledge for agriculture (and other areas) by supporting research, education and extension programs in the Land-Grant University system and other partner organizations including nonprofit associations. Some of the above programs are administered through CSREES.