Start planning now for convention
The convention planning website is now available. Check out this year’s convention theme and learn how to get started with planning.
National Officer selection changes delayed until 2012 process
In 2010, a task force discussed revising the selection process for national FFA officers. This meeting yielded an outstanding set of recommendations for revision that were originally scheduled for implementation in 2011. However, we have decided to delay the implementation of these revisions until 2012 to ensure that we have provided the proper resources and training necessary to allow for a fair process for all candidates. Please make sure that all potential candidates know that we will not make any changes to the process in 2011. We will communicate with stakeholders regarding the 2012 revision implementation throughout 2011.
Registration fees set for the 2011 National FFA Convention
The following registration fees have been set for the 2011 National FFA Convention:
- $40 – for chapters that preregister and use the housing block.
- $40 – for chapters located within a 100-mile radius of the host city that preregister for a full registration and will drive daily to convention.
- $60 – for chapters that preregister and do not use the housing block or that will drive from a distance more than 100 miles from the host city.
- $70 – for all on-site registrations.
The convention registration fees were last increased in 2008. Since then, as the convention has evolved into a larger, more dynamic event, the organization has seen a three-year increase of 14.6 percent in the convention’s operating costs. While sponsorship and other revenues have helped offset some of the expenses, registration fees still cover only about 50 percent of the overall expense of convention.
As in the past, the national FFA staff will continue to trim expenses wherever possible to help ensure FFA members are provided an outstanding educational convention experience at an affordable price. Increases in convention fees are scheduled periodically; the National FFA Organization will revisit the topic of convention registration at the end of the year to see if any adjustment is needed.
Important American FFA Degree information
- Applications are due to the National FFA Center from the state FFA offices on June 15.
- E-mail the American FFA Degree certification form from the state to email@example.com.
- An e-mail address is required for all applicants in order to communicate convention information.
- Members must complete 50 hours of community service within at least three different community service activities. These hours are in addition to and cannot be duplicated as paid or unpaid supervised agricultural experience (SAE) project hours. Activities can only be used once in the application. Activities planned by the chapter can be included, provided they are only listed in the community service section of the application and are not duplicated in the FFA activities section of the application.
For more information, visit the 2011 American FFA Degree Application Updates webpage.
Additional due dates:
American FFA Degree / American Star Awards applications – June 15
Agri-Entrepreneurship Award application – July 15
The Agricultural Proficiency Awards application – July 15
Students chosen for 2011 International Collegiate Ag Leadership (I-CAL) program
Twelve students from across the country were recently selected to participate in the 2011 International Collegiate Ag Leadership (I-CAL) program. The newly selected team will travel to Panama and Columbia May 15 - 27, to study international grain marketing and trade and global agriculture. While overseas, the team will tour numerous South American agricultural operations; grain inspection facilities; fruit/vegetable production farms; livestock operations; and open-air grain, meat, and animal markets. The selected students are:
Matt Barnhill - North Carolina State University
Adrienne Bradley - University of California-Davis
Andrew Carpenter - University of Wyoming
Chelsy Coen - Kansas State University
Kelli Fulkerson - South Dakota State University
Lauren Geiger - Kansas State University
Dakota Hoben - Iowa State University
Sarah Marten - Kansas State University
Thomas Marten - Southern Illinois University
Jarvis Pace - Utah State University
Caleb Wurth - Kansas State University
Gracie Weinzierl - Illinois State University
Join the National FFA Alumni Association in Arkansas this summer
The National FFA Alumni Association invites all members to attend the 2011 FFA Alumni Development Conference in Little Rock, Ark. July 20 - 24. This four-day conference is specifically designed to bring together local and state FFA alumni leaders for workshops, updates and idea sharing. Take in the sights of Arkansas and fellowship with alumni from around the country!
Registration is available online (April 15 - June 15) at www.ffa.org/alumni. The conference is open to any FFA alumni member; spouses and family are welcome to attend for a special fee that includes accommodation in the hotel block, all tours, group meals and social activities. All registered participants will receive conference supplies, local transportation, five days/four nights hotel accommodations (double occupancy) and the majority of their meals. Transportation to and from the event is your responsibility. Hotel information and travel suggestions were included in the spring issue of the New Visions newsletter.
Free FFA Alumni Webinars Available
The National FFA Alumni Association is hosting free webinars through August 2011. These empowering webinars will inform members about programs, provide ideas and help you become more effective advocates for FFA. Log-in information is available in the news section of the FFA alumni website.
Share this information with your alumni and encourage council/board meetings to be conducted around the webinar. For questions, contact the National FFA Alumni Association, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Beyond High School
Attention FFA Advisors! Encourage your seniors to sign up for FFA Beyond High School. Go to www.ffa.org/collegiate and click on the tab for “FFA Beyond High School.” It’s easy and only takes a minute. Students who sign up will be entered to win a free iPad!
Encouraging your seniors to sign up for FFA Beyond High School ensures that you:
- Keep your students engaged in FFA and agriculture as they transition to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Build a strong advocacy base for agricultural education at the state and local level to support the need for local programs.
- Are able to gather more complete information on former students in order to maintain a strong local program and provide information for state reports.
Signing up for FFA Beyond High School ensures your seniors:
- Stay up to date with the latest opportunities in FFA and agriculture.
- Receive information on internships, scholarships, professional development opportunities, international opportunities and more.
- Receive information on finding and joining Collegiate FFA chapters and alumni affiliates.
Banquet season has arrived!
Visit Shop FFA today to get your FFA awards and gift items. Place your banquet orders early and allow at least two weeks for order processing and shipping. Save time and money with the FFA Banquet Kit—everything you need for a banquet of 100 members and guests. The FFA crystal cubes or FFA paperweights are the perfect, affordable way to say thank you. Remember: Telephone orders are limited to 10 line items per call during the rush season. Free engraving is always available.
FFA Design Studio Now LIVE!
Want to create your own FFA clothing? The FFA Design Studio allows you to create designs by you, for you. Whether you need one or more items, this easy-to-use website on Shop FFA has all the tools you need to create high-quality personalized apparel for fundraisers, community projects, member incentives and volunteer recognition. Choose from five garment styles, hundreds of design elements and multiple colors. Allow two weeks for delivery.
Graduation sashes: No charge for embroidery through May 15
Recognize your FFA members at graduation with the FFA graduation sash and make it personal with free embroidery. This heavyweight satin sash is offered in either national blue with a gold FFA emblem or corn gold with a blue FFA emblem. Embroider up to two lines with a maximum of four characters per line. Commemorate your FFA experience with a personalized graduation sash today.
New arrivals at Shop FFA!
Visit the new arrival section on Shop FFA for the latest trends in FFA spirit wear. Now featured are new tees, pants and shorts in the freshest spring colors and great new graphics.
The FFA Chapter Tee Design Contest winners have been announced. Visit the FFA Chapter Tee section on Shop FFA to get your favorite shirt today.