The ExploraVision competition, now in its 18th year, is an annual event that awards more than $240,000 in savings bonds each year to the winning teams. K-12 students in small groups of two to four, led by a teacher/coach, create a vision of a future technology relevant to their lives or to society in general.
- Problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Commitment and initiative development
- Communication skills
- Cooperative learning skills
- Interdisciplinary learning
- Inquiry-based learning
A team project can take as little as three weeks, two months, or up to four months. Build this project into your curriculum. Check out these Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
To enter, visit http://www.dmail.exploravision.org/?lid=evm20090928.
Summer Welding Workshop – Tulsa Welding School
What is it? A great inservice opportunity for high school welding instructors, providing 15 contact hours of continuing education and a hands-on workshop that allows you to work on whatever specific welding area you choose with a number of experienced welding instructors
- When are the workshops being held? Friday, June 25 and Saturday, June 26, 2010
- Where will they be held? TWS Jacksonville campus – 3500 Southside Blvd., Jacksonville, FL 32216 (877-935-3529) or TWS Tulsa campus – 2545 East 11th St., Tulsa, OK 74104 (800-331-2934)
- Who can attend? Any instructor who teaches welding is welcome – agricultural mechanics or tech school setting and brand new teachers or veterans looking to get the hours and/or the practice
- Why should I attend? Continuing education hours, chance to experience different machines and methods, time to concentrate on whatever area in which you may need improvement, learn some new techniques, network with your colleagues from neighboring schools and states
- How do I register? There is no registration cost and special lodging rates will be arranged for the participants. Visit the TWS website at www.weldingschool.com for additional information, or call Ken White, High School Coordinator, at 800-331-2934, extension 369.
Do You Have Students interested in Veterinary Medicine?
Direct them to the AVMA’s newest website promoting large animal careers and rural practices. Check out the interactive map to locate state needs and loan forgiveness programs. Students can also see the need for veterinarians in the food supply industry.
Teaching Chemistry via Food Science?
Whether you’re teaching a semester of food science for the first time, a veteran of the curriculum, or just looking for some new activities for various courses, you’ll love the ready-made lab activities at this site. Make chemistry relevant for your students by engaging them in lab experiences that relate to the food they eat.
Create Rubrics Painlessly and for any Lesson
Rubistar and Teachnology allow you to create assessments for a variety of lessons with a few clicks. You can even tailor them to your curriculum.
Careers in Renewable Fuels
The Renewable Fuels Association (RFA) and the Renewable Fuels Foundation (RFF) are partnering with teachers and the National FFA Organization to provide tens of thousands of high school students information about the opportunities available to them in the field of renewable fuels. Check out the free lessons in the Team Ag Ed Learning Center. In addition, the RFF is offering scholarships for students to attend the National Ethanol Conference in Orlando, Fla., in February, free of charge.
Tools for Educators
Tools for Educators offers free worksheet generators, printables makers and a host of programs for teachers to make resources for lessons, lesson plans and printable materials for classes.
Aquacation.com has developed the Aquacation Program to assist in promoting aquaculture in schools from elementary to high school and even college. The Aquacation Program is geared to educate students in every aspect of aquaculture from the conception and design phase to installation of the systems and progressing to the culturing of the organisms, and finally through the marketing and sales aspect. Contact the AREA Aquaculture Group today to discuss your current or future programs along with any needs that you may have at 800-257-AREA or Info@areainc.com.
Values.Com has free motivational posters available to schools while supplies last. They are currently clearing out their inventory, so act fast!