New Horizons for Teachers
Be on the lookout for your free subscription to FFA New Horizons, compliments of the National FFA Organization. Beginning with the October 2008 issue, which hits mailboxes Sept. 19, one copy of every issue will be delivered to each chapter. The magazine is a great classroom resource for exploring agricultural education—from aquatic biology and planning for college to veterinary medicine and, of course, all things FFA. In the October issue, we catch up with national truck-pulling champion and Springfield, Tenn., FFA member Will Teasley for an exciting, up-close look at tractor-pulling. Also in the issue, discover 10 reasons why you can’t miss the 81st National FFA Convention, and explore careers in food science. And coming soon: FFA New Horizons teaching guides will be available online at www.ffanewhorizons.org. These guides will offer plenty of ideas on how you can use each issue of the magazine with your students. If you have questions or even want to shoot us a story idea, contact Julie Woodard at email@example.com or 317-802-4310.
Be a Scholarship Superhero to an FFA Member
2008 National FFA Alumni Benefit Auctions – Joining forces to raise funds for student scholarships!
ONLINE TIMED BENEFIT AUCTION
Open October 15-29, 2008—online for the entire World Wide Web to bid!
SILENT BENEFIT AUCTION
October 22-24, 2008—National FFA Convention, ICC, 500 Ballroom
LIVE BENEFIT AUCTION
6 p.m. October 24, 2008—National FFA Convention, ICC, 500 Ballroom
Simultaneously broadcast online for bidders at home!
Visit www.unitedcountry.com/ffaauction to view the online and live benefit auction catalogs, register and bid from home! For additional auction information, contact Amber Smyer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-802-4294.
Know anyone in need of a new tractor or a truck?
New Holland and Ford Trucks commemorate 60 years of FFA support by donating to the FFA Alumni Benefit Auction! The auction will feature “BIG” donations by these long-time FFA supporters. Help us find buyers who might be interested in purchasing the following items while supporting FFA and raising funds for student scholarships:
From New Holland…
- One-of-a-kind T6050 Elite Tractor with Custom Graphics. The hood of the tractor will feature a dynamic, customized graphic that represents the traditional blue jacket and emblem of FFA. Available for pickup at your nearest New Holland dealership. Approximate retail value: $97,550.
- Tractor/Baler Lease Package. 300 hours’ use of a NEW Model T6050 tractor AND the winning bidder’s choice of one season’s use (up to 3,000 bales) of either a NEW model B7060 round baler equipped with CropCutter or a NEW model B7090 round baler equipped with BaleSlice crop cutting option. Available for pickup at your nearest New Holland dealership. Approximate retail value: $12,000.
- One-of-a-kind Celebrity-Autographed New Holland Sub-Compact Tractor. Celebrities participating in the New Holland/Michael Peterson Celebrity Tractor Race at the CMA Music Festival Fan Fair each autographed T1010 Boomer Sub-compact tractors for charity. New Holland is proud to donate one of these to the FFA Alumni Live Benefit Auction!!
From Ford Trucks…
- 2009 Ford F-150 SuperCrew XLT. Available this fall for pickup at your local Ford dealership with interior and exterior color options. Approximate retail value: $32,000.
Visit www.unitedcountry.com/ffaauction to learn more about these amazing items up for bid, and join us at 6 p.m. (EDT) on Friday, Oct. 24, either at convention or online to bid!!
For additional auction information, contact Amber Smyer at email@example.com or 317-802-4294.
Lund FFA Boat Design Challenge
FFA members can win $2,000 for their chapter with a winning graphic design treatment for the new Lund 1825 Rebel XL Vazer Edition multi-use boat. Lund Boats is looking for design talent, but not just any talent – FFA talent! Lund knows that FFA members are bright, savvy kids who love the outdoors and can express that love through a design for Lund Boats. Submitted designs will go into a competition gallery and the public will vote for their favorite boat designs. The challenge started Sept. 1, 2008, and all designs must be submitted by 12 p.m. (EST) on Sat., Nov. 15, 2008. For complete details and boat templates, go to www.ffaboat.com.
Calling All FFA Chefs –
Voyageur Press Needs Your Recipes!
Voyageur Press, an FFA licensee, will publish a national FFA cookbook for release in fall 2009, and they need FFA recipes from current members, former members, past national officers, past state officers, alumni and supporters of FFA.
This cookbook will include approximately 500 recipes, plus information about the National FFA Organization and FFA chapters, programs and members—all highlighted with some great photos of FFA members and activities.
The publisher is asking for your help in gathering recipes in the following categories: Appetizers; Salads; Soups & Sandwiches; Meats, Main Dishes & Casseroles; Vegetables & Side Dishes; Breads; Cookies & Bars; and Cakes, Desserts & Pies.
Don’t be shy! Send Voyageur as many recipes as you would like! All they ask is that you submit your recipes using the following format:
- Name of recipe and category
- Ingredients (quantity/measurement)
- Procedures (all those little tricks to turn out the best recipe, such as precise oven temperature; stir, do not beat; refrigerate for 10 minutes; etc.)
Then, they need to know who and where you are. Along with your recipe submissions, please include the following information: how you are affiliated with FFA, name of the chapter, chapter advisor’s name, chapter address including city and state, and e-mail address.
E-mail your recipe submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or, send your recipes via U.S. Postal Service to:
400 First Avenue North, Suite 300
Minneapolis, MN 55401
Recipes must be received by Sat., Nov. 1, 2008. For complete details, visit http://www.voyageurpress.com/Store/CustomPage_9643.ncm.
We Want to Hear From You!
Do you have a student with a unique or highly-successful SAE you want to brag on? What about your agriculture program or FFA chapter? What makes it unique and innovative that others could learn from? We want to help you share your story and highlight your students’ (and your!) achievements! You, your student or your chapter could appear in one of the national FFA’s publications. That’s right! Rise to stardom by being featured in New Horizons, our nationally-televised show FFA Today, or Making a Difference. Contact Amber Striegel at email@example.com to share your story.